Imperial House – Our Clacton Hub
A little bit of history
The modern-day Clacton-on-Sea was founded by Peter Bruff in 1871 as a seaside resort.
Originally the main means of access was by sea – Steamships operated by the Woolwich Steam Packet Company docked from 1871 at Clacton Pier which opened the same year. The pier now offers an amusement arcade and many other forms of entertainment.
The Community and Voluntary Services building in Rosemary Road is called ‘Imperial House’. This centre co-ordinates many local support groups and activities in the Tendring area.
It was in 1876 that full licences were granted to the Osborne and Imperial Hotels in Rosemary Road. The Imperial was rebuilt in 1895 and for many years it was a favourite hotel for many families to stay in. In the 1970s and 1980s, Chuck and Mary Walsh and their family worked hard to make it one of the most popular pubs in Clacton and many of our Society’s members have fond memories of times spent there! Staff at Butlins also enjoyed evenings out there.
All our activities are subject to change, so the venue, date, and time may be different to those shown. Contact us in advance please to check details and to book your place.
Book a Venue
SOS BUS - Clacton & Harwich
The SOS bus offers support to local residents who are homeless, at risk of homelessness, street drinking or just in need of local support services. As well as being able to assist directly, the SOS bus can also signpost people to the most appropriate service.
On board the bus are representatives from several support services, including Open Road, SUMMIT health advocate, social prescribers from CVST, and mental health support.
The SOS bus will be outside the Park Pavilion in Harwich on Mondays and parked on Christmas Tree Island, Clacton town centre on Fridays.